Basic Tenets of Nursing Ethics
The American Nurses Association created a Code of Ethics that can be summed up in a few points:
- Compassion and respect for the inherent dignity, worth, and uniqueness of every patient.
- Primary commitment is to the patient.
- Advocacy to protect the health, safety, and rights of the patient.
- Responsibility and accountability for individual nursing practice to provide optimum patient care.
- Maintenance of personal integrity, safety, competence, and professional growth.
- Establishment, maintenance, and improvement of healthcare environments and conditions of employment in order to provide quality care.
- Advancement of the profession through various contributions.
- Collaboration with other healthcare professionals.
- Responsibility for articulating nursing values and maintaining the integrity of the profession and its practice Continue reading “Basic Tenets of Nursing Ethics”