Live where you vacation. Chances are, you’ve read this statement at some point, somewhere. It may have been on a bumper sticker, a social media post, maybe even a television commercial. If you’re finding it difficult, or maybe even impossible, to fall in love with where you live and work, it may be time for a change of scenery.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) named 104 cities as the “major markets” for pharmacists, ranking them by the average annual salary. We feature several of these cities as “Featured Pharmacy Job Locations” on our site. These cities offer great pay for pharmacists…but that’s not all.
You can explore new parts of the country by vacationing — or you can experience them! For those who want to do the latter, consider some of the best highest-paying markets for pharmacists:
- San Francisco – Oakland, CA – This beautiful city serves lush scenery in and around the bay, street vendors galore, and some of the best wineries around.
- San Diego, CA – You won’t need but a few words to be enticed by the charm of San Diego: 70-degree weather year round.
- Los Angeles, CA – What more is there to say about Los Angeles? One of the most recognizable cities in the nation, L.A. has established itself as the entertainment capital of the world.
- Phoenix, AZ – Calling hikers, backpackers, horseback riders! Phoenix has got you covered with some of the most exhilarating deserts, parks, and trails in the country.
- Detroit, MI – Find the largest island park within a city in Detroit, but don’t miss out on the abundance of fresh food at Eastern market or the city’s rich musical history.
- Charlotte, NC – Relax and take in Charlotte’s historic charm, by way of its parks, neighborhoods, culture and people!
- Nashville, TN – “Music City” is home to many of the nation’s most iconic music, the world-famous Grand Ole Opry, and the Country Music Hall of Fame. If you’re after a big city with a small town feel, look no further than Nashville.
- Austin, TX – Music and film lovers unite in Austin, home to the renowned South by Southwest (SXSW) festival, also the city economy’s highest revenue-producing event.
- Minneapolis – St. Paul, MN – Known as the “City of Lakes,” Minneapolis summers are not only cool, they’re great for spending indoors, whether it be at the Nickelodeon Universe or the Mall of America.
- Las Vegas, NV – Roll the dice on fun in Las Vegas: a city fit for the pharmacist looking for great pay and play.
- Seattle, WA – Located only 100 miles south of Canada, Seattle offers plenty to see and do: take a ride in the Space Needle, shop at the Pike Place Market, explore a multitude of parks, mountains, and exciting music venues!
- Dallas – Fort Worth, TX – Warm subtropical climate, authentic Tex-Mex cuisine, and a booming Arts District await you in Dallas.
- Denver, CO – As one of America’s most beautiful cities, Denver boasts 300 days of sunshine per year plus the country’s largest park system. Gorgeous mountain views? Check!
Ever worked as a pharmacist in these high-paying cities? Please share your experiences and recommendations in the comments below!