More than 3.4 billion people will have smartphones or tablets with access to mobile health apps by 2017.¹ Mobile health is not only changing the way healthcare technologies are being developed, but it is also changing the way people on the front lines, such as doctors and nurses, are providing care.
School nurses play an important role in the safety of students every day, but efforts in treating and preventing sports and recreational injuries such as concussions often go unnoticed. Concussions are a type of traumatic brain injury (TBI) that can affect the way the brain works. Even when mild and non-life-threatening, they may have serious effects. Continue reading “School Nurses and Injury Prevention”
The career choices doctors make affect the lives of every patient they treat. Like anyone, doctors sometimes discover they’re not on quite the right career path, while some just take time to find the specialty that suits them best. Either way, without doctors and the knowledge and skill they provide in caring for their patients, many people would suffer the effects of illness more acutely, and our lifespans would be dramatically shortened. Dating back to 1933, Doctors’ Day gives patients and their families the chance to show their appreciation for the people who spend their lives helping and healing others. Continue reading “The Dedicated Doctor”
Using Therapy Dogs as a Tool for Healing
With the recent tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut, many educators, therapists, school nurses, and school psychiatrists are asking how we can treat our children in the wake of a tragedy. Perhaps a student body has suffered the loss of a classmate, professor, or friend. Using therapy dogs as a tool to aid in healing, awareness, and mental health is a great way to help students recover from any ailment. Therapy dogs can be used to combat stress, ease mental distress associated with a close personal loss, or even simply provide comfort and a calming presence to an overworked teen during final exams. Continue reading “Using Therapy Dogs as a Tool for Healing”
The healthy state of the healthcare industry presents tremendous opportunities for job seekers and may be critical to turning around the national economy. Check out our infographic below to find out which jobs are in-demand and where the healthcare industry is headed next. For more information on trends and issues in healthcare, contact a Soliant representative today. Continue reading “Can Healthcare Improve the Health of the US Economy?”
Basic Tenets of Nursing Ethics
The American Nurses Association created a Code of Ethics that can be summed up in a few points:
- Compassion and respect for the inherent dignity, worth, and uniqueness of every patient.
- Primary commitment is to the patient.
- Advocacy to protect the health, safety, and rights of the patient.
- Responsibility and accountability for individual nursing practice to provide optimum patient care.
- Maintenance of personal integrity, safety, competence, and professional growth.
- Establishment, maintenance, and improvement of healthcare environments and conditions of employment in order to provide quality care.
- Advancement of the profession through various contributions.
- Collaboration with other healthcare professionals.
- Responsibility for articulating nursing values and maintaining the integrity of the profession and its practice Continue reading “Basic Tenets of Nursing Ethics”