Basic Tenets of Nursing Ethics
The American Nurses Association created a Code of Ethics that can be summed up in a few points:
- Compassion and respect for the inherent dignity, worth, and uniqueness of every patient.
- Primary commitment is to the patient.
- Advocacy to protect the health, safety, and rights of the patient.
- Responsibility and accountability for individual nursing practice to provide optimum patient care.
- Maintenance of personal integrity, safety, competence, and professional growth.
- Establishment, maintenance, and improvement of healthcare environments and conditions of employment in order to provide quality care.
- Advancement of the profession through various contributions.
- Collaboration with other healthcare professionals.
- Responsibility for articulating nursing values and maintaining the integrity of the profession and its practice [click to continue…]
The Changing Careerscape for Nurses: Where are the Jobs?
With the economy in jeopardy and jobs becoming scarce, nursing has consistently come out on top as a recession-proof job. The prevailing wisdom is that there’s always a need, the U.S. has a chronic nursing shortage, nursing can’t be outsourced…and there are 80 million baby boomers retiring, which means nurses retiring and an aging population that needs more care. And then there’s the Affordable Health Care Act to factor in. We should be swimming in nursing opportunities, right? Yet many new grads are finding jobs more difficult to find than anticipated, so what’s going on here? [click to continue…]
The Registered Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist, or RCIS, Certification has become the industry standard for health professionals working with cardiologists or cardiac surgeons. While this certification has not always been necessary for these positions, it is becoming increasingly common for facilities to require. Previously there have been five different testing options that were determined by previous experience and education. Changes set to go into effect on July 1, 2013, will reduce testing options. What are the testing options and what does this mean for those with experience but little formal education. [click to continue…]